If you’ve ever longed for the wide open spaces or thought that living the simple life would be a blessing, then take a look at these 15 blog articles about life on a ranch. These bloggers let you step into their shoes and see what their daily lives and activities look like. Find out what a horse rancher does on a day-to-day basis, as well as all of the ins and outs of cattle ranching. Does the work ever end, or do these ranchers live, eat and breathe life on the ranch? Find out by reading their blog posts. Horse and cattle ranches aren’t the only ones out there; you can also learn about llama, ostrich and goat ranches, just to name a few!
One thing about ranchers is that they try to be self-sufficient, both to keep more money on the ranch and because they are often located quite a distance from civilization. Some ranchers will plant tons of vegetables so that the food can be canned or preserved for the future. You can even find out how to make your own saltine crackers! To read about daily life on the ranch, check out the next five blog entries.
- Frugal Living on the Watkins Ranch The goal of this rancher is to be self-sufficient. She grows her own food as much as she can and she tells you how she makes her own saltines.
- I Do All the Work and Lucy and the Boys Get to Lick the Bowl A humorous look at life on a ranch with animals.
- How I Ended Up Living on a Horse Ranch Read all about how this blogger made a shift in her life to find her dreams.
- Are There Loose Horses in Your Life? This blogger shares some tips and a funny story about her horses.
- Day in the Life—Early Spring A fascinating look at what life is like on a horse ranch.
Thanks to a blogger turned television host, more people are getting an idea of what life on a cattle ranch is like. Ree Drummond’s blog Pioneer Woman is included in this list, so you can read more about her life on a ranch in Oklahoma. Other cattle ranchers share their versions of life on the ranch and the challenges they face. Take a look at these five blog posts for more ranch stories.
- Spring Horse/Ranch Keeping Talk of saddle making and calf birthing can be found on this post.
- Snow Days are Work Days for Farm Kids Read all about a new calf being born and what this family did to make things a little warmer for the baby.
- It’s Official… Read this story about how this ranch gal spent the day moving mommas and calves from one field to another.
- 13 Thursday—My Answers One blogger asks a bunch of questions to this blogger and she answers them in this post.
- Sorting Pairs in the Cold The Pioneer Woman started with her blog about ranch life and went on to write fictional books, children’s books, cookbooks and to host her own cooking show.
While cattle and horse ranchers get more press, there are many more types of ranches out there. Read the five blog articles below to learn about raising everything from llamas to goats to ostriches. These blog posts will open the door to a whole new world and give you a glimpse of a lifestyle that is not common to many people. Maybe these stories will inspire you to quit your job and go live on a ranch!
- A Week in the Life of a Ranch Hand This article is all about working on a ranch starting from the bottom up.
- A Typical Day—Just Another Day in Paradise Check out this story from a guy who is just getting started on his ranch.
- The Llama Rodeo Take a look at the pictures and the stories about llamas on this post.
- For Makeup and Meat, Ostrich Farms Thrive in the Bekaa Read this informative article about how raising ostriches saved this farm/ranch.
- Baby Goats Grow Quickly! Such a cute picture of a baby goat and links to more about what happens on The Flying T Ranch.